Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Semester: Check.

It's so hard to believe that my first semester of college has gone by. I just can't even. So much has happened since I began my freshman year. Here are some highlights:

I got randomly paired up with my roommate (who I fondly call "Old Lady Boston" because a. she is from the Boston area *self explanatory* and b. she knits and shops at coldwater creek. enough said.) But don't think that these are the her only qualities. She is also a kick butt zumba instructor and appreciates my weird since of humor. we send each other pictures of baby animals constantly. once again, enough said. she laughs at my southern-ness, and I find her OLB (Old Lady Boston) tendencies endearing. oh, and she's also obsessed with Christmas. our room was easily the most decorated on our hall (perhaps even on campus)...but i don't want to brag.

In November, I cut 14 inches of my hair for locks of love. i didn't tell anyone that i was planning to do it, so needless to say, it was definitely a surprise. my mom's immediate reaction: "Do you like it? Are you sure?"

Over Christmas break, I had the opportunity to go to Passion, a Christian conference (I guess that's what one would call it..?) at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. (Here's my little plug for Passion...  
Click here for more info.) My experience at Passion is difficult to put into words. It was so indescribably amazing... just imagine 65,000+ college students gathered in one place for one purpose: to worship the same God. Incredible is an understatement. The main focus of Passion this year was the "End It" movement. The leaders of Passion have a heart for ending slavery all over the world (visit http://www.enditmovement.com/  for more info...i know, i know..i'm bombarding you with links but trust me...they are well worth your time.) As this website will tell you, there are currently 27 million slaves in the world. I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that slavery is still so prevalent...when I think "slavery" i think Civil War era. as in a LONG time ago. Unfortunately, this is a travesty that continues even as I type this post. It breaks my heart to think about all of the innocent men, women, and children who are enslaved all across the world, even in my own backyard. The good news is that Passion has brought this pressing issue to the attention of political leaders all over the world. Hopefully our generation will be the one to put an end to this terrible evil.

And most recently....
2 days ago I became a member of Tri Delt!! I am so excited to be a baby dolphin, and I can't wait to bond with all of my new sisters. I know, i know. i'm being cheesy again.

Well, that's it for my update. Of course, a lot more has actually happened, but this is merely a blog, not a novel or a memoir. With that said, i will bid you adieu, oh few readers. If you have gotten this far, you have too much time on your hands are the coolest. 

xoxo, gossip girl
(disclaimer: i regrettably am not actually gossip girl. i just wanted to spice things up. don't sue me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment